If you have a question that has not been answered, please use the comment feature below.
1. Do I need to use Google Chrome, Chromium, Safari or Edge to run Fidus Writer?
The current version is made mainly with Chrome in mind, but it is also used in other browsers. Currently we require for users to use desktop computers. Mobile browsers will likely be supported in the near future.
2. In the Fidus Writer editor, everything looks just like one gigantic page to me and the footnotes are displayed on the side. What’s happening?
True, but try to go into the print dialog (CTRL+P or from the editor’s menu. You will notice in the print preview that page numbers, footnotes, etc. are formatted the way you expect them to be.
As for the editor: We spent a year on creating an interface like that of Google Docs where everything was WYSIWYG. We used an experimental technology developed by Adobe called “CSS Regions” for this. Unfortunately the Google Chromium team decided to remove this technology from their browser and Firefox never even started implementing it. This is why the “one large page” solution is the best we can do for now, unless someone finances a team of hundreds of developers for us so that we can compete with Google.
3. How can I add a large list of item to the bibliography without leaving the editor.
You currently have the exit the document editor and go to the bibliography list in order to import Bibtex files. We are working with integrating it so it can be done from the editor itself. In the editor you can currently only add items one by one.
4. How can I share a document with another user?
First add a new contact from the share dialog using their email or username. You can then share the document either through File-> in the document editor or by clicking on the access rights icons on the document overview page.
5. I have shared a document with another user, but he now only has read access to the document. Why?
Make sure to enable write access in the document share dialog. Click on the icon in the column “rights” and select appropriately.